Home   |    Moving   |    Tax Deductible Expenses
Tax Deductible Moving Expenses
If you're not being reimbursed for moving costs (by your employer), you can deduct the expenses when determining your federal adjusted gross income.

What you can deduct
� The cost of transportation or hauling from your old residence to your new one.
� The cost of storage-in-transit (limited to 30 consecutive days) and valuation (limited to 30 consecutive days).
� The cost of shipping your car.
� The cost of moving your household pets.
� The cost of moving your personal belongings from a place other than your old residence (i.e. summer home, relative's home, etc.).
� The family trip to the new residence (this includes lodging, but not meals).
� You may not deduct expenses in excess of a reasonable amount.

Who Qualifies
All taxpayers are eligible to deduct moving expenses, even if they don't file an itemized return. You must, however, meet these qualifications:
� You're moving to a new principal residence to work as an employee or as a self-employed individual at a new principal place of work.
� Your new job is at least 50 miles farther from your former residence than your old job location.
� You're a full-time employee in the general vicinity of the new job location for 39 weeks must be in the first 12 months.
� If you're self-employed, you must continue to work in the new location (as a self-employed person or as an employee) for at least 78 weeks during the 24 months following the move, of which at least 39 weeks must be in the first 12 months.
� Foreign moves and moves by military personnel are subject to special limitations. If you fall under this category, consult a professional tax advisor.